Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Gastro Guest House--a free form crochet and knit wall hanging


The Gastro Guest House is a free-form crochet/knit wall hanging that was accepted into Tangled, a Montana Fiber Arts Collective exhibition called Shelter. It was exhibited for the month of October, 2013 at The Purple Pomegranate, 222 Central Ave. Whitefish, MT 59937. 

 

Here was my artist's statement:

Trained as a biologist, I have a special interest in the living arrangements, good or bad, made between organisms. In The Gastro Guest House, small creatures peer out from their niches in the viscera of an unknown species. As guests, are they welcome, or not?

Fiber is the foundation from which I create my sculptural pieces, which I then embellish with beads, buttons, fabric, and found objects. Sometimes the goal is to express my odd sense of humor and hopefully make the viewer smile. I also like to remind the viewer of life's transience. In this regard, the haiku of Issa, who viewed insects and other small creatures with humor and pathos, is an inspiration.

Year completed: 2013

Dimensions: 22 inches wide by 31 inches high; 4.5 lbs.

Materials and techniques: Yarn, beads, felt, trim; crochet, loom knit, needle felt, hand beading.

 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment